Headlines News :
Home » » Serving divorce papers to the family

Serving divorce papers to the family

Written By Unknown on Monday, April 23, 2012 | Monday, April 23, 2012


After the foolish behaviour from the suits at Naturena, I decided to write a poem (no I am not a poet nor am I a rapper). It was meant to be funny and look at the situation with humour but well, I failed at that, dismally in fact. Read it, read in between the lines, laugh at my terrible attempt at rhyming but see the take note of the deeper issue in South African soccer.

Before you start reading (and maybe laughing), here is my little disclaimer of sorts: I am responsible for what I say, not what you understand.

This poem here will be dedicated to K.C.F.B, yes I said F.B.,
Because it is no longer a football club, but a business for the family.
From 1970 to currently, Kaizer you built up massive support,
From starting in the dusty Soweto streets, to becoming the biggest brand in SA sport,
You, Kaizer, are responsible for that.
The club has attracted the likes of Mark Williams, Radebe, Neil Tovey  and Jairzinho,
Maponyane, Teenage, Computer Lamola, McGregor and 16V Khumalo.
Dumitru, Dolezar, Troussier and Jeff Butler have been our winning coaches,
And who can forget how Mbesuma and Madida, the great goal poachers.
You, Kaizer, are responsible for that.
In the new millennium, league titles have dried up,
We the fans have always been loyal, despite some administrative and executive cock-ups.
Bobby Motaung even had the nerve to state that he is accountable to nobody but the family,
Sadly, it is clear that there exists “Kaizer’s family” instead of the oft-stated “Chiefs family”.
You, Kaizer, are responsible for that.
We no longer wait for communication from the board, as we will be given lame excuses,
We give time, money and support, but the clubs attitude reveals that the fans are seen as useless.
It is clear you don’t need membership fees and gate revenues, from the fans that were there through thick and thin,
Because you feel you can talk to us like fools, the clubs view is: unlike corporate sponsorship, the fans are worth nothing.
You, Kaizer are responsible for that.
You publish zero financial statements, yet the masses have made you a small fortune. That’s not good.
So, I’m changing attitude, I’ll rather support a smaller team where I might be valued.
I’m done with this family and I am “serving my divorce papers”.
This is indeed the final goodbye and not “see you later”.
You, Kaizer, are responsible for that.

After reading that, read it again. Feel free to comment, email me or chat/debate on twitter. Be aware that I have read articles like this one (http://goo.gl/CrBnX) here stating that Kaizer Motaung does appreciate the fans but I feel this lame explanation for firing Vladimir Vermezovic was an insult to my intelligence and that of other football supporters.

I am not saying that this is enough to boycott a team and to stop supporting a team but I will understand supporters who have decided to o that. Fans in South Africa should hold their clubs to higher standards.  Like I mentioned, in South Africa it is no even common practice to publish financial statements for each club.

Yet, the same clubs want individual to spend their hard-earned money to come to the stadium and buy their replica shirts as well. That is not how a relationship works. The numbers of bums on seats is dwindling, and if the suits in SA football do not realise this early enough, SA football could end up attracting very little interest from anyone.

Even the Soweto Derby could end up becoming just another event on the sports calendar. No fans, equal no sponsorship, equals no money, equals no club. The fans are the club. It is as simple as that. Those enjoying the benefits of massive sponsorship right now should not forget the importance of the fans and supporters - the lifeblood of the game.

For some of you who prefer to focus on the fact that I will now on be supporting a smaller team - that's a decision that has been coming for while. Maybe Chiefs action this week was just the final push. I think most of us can agree that we supported Chiefs, Pirates or Sundowns from childhood simply because most people in our communities supported one of them. It was the "cool" thing to do. Socially acceptable. So, from childhood you were loyal to one of the Big 3 and that's just the way it always has been. However, I have grown.

I do not see why I should stick to that original team  that I supported - I did not have my own logical reason to start supporting them in the first place. I just have the urge to support one of the other teams who play soccer of an equal or sometimes better quality.

I guess a small part of the reason for this "floor crossing" is just because I want to be different. Instead of supporting teams that have millions of glory-hunters as "supporters", I don't mind supporting one where "atmosphere" is not a word you associate with their home stadium.  As a an Arenal fan, it is pretty obvious I am not a supporter for the trophies(seven years, I know!).

I supported Arsenal because of their style of play under Arsene Wenger, (after a brief glory hunting experience with Chelsea). I also want to support a local team also based on other factors besides winning, such as the clubs style of play, clubs philosophy and ethos, development(important in SA) and the treatment of its (small) fan base. For now, I will be a neutral before officially supporting any PSL team(and that will include getting a  membership card).

Lastly, I would like to give strong praise to the players and coaches of Free State Stars, Ajax Cape Town, Bidvest Wits, and Moroka Swallows for their efforts in playing what I feel is an attractive brand of soccer. If only PSL fans could start supporting these teams in numbers.
'Til next time.

By Tom Moneypower

Twitter: @TomMoneyPower
Share this post :
 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2011. DISKIOFF - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger