Headlines News :
Home » » Chiefs... my dying love

Chiefs... my dying love

Written By Unknown on Monday, November 30, 2009 | Monday, November 30, 2009

It very strange how one inherits a team and becomes a fan. Born in the streets of Pimville in Soweto, where almost everyone was Chiefs or Pirates was almost going to be difficult to fall in love with any other team. It was like having a crush on the pretty girl in school. My whole family loved this team and by default I became a Chiefs fan.

The older uncles in the neighborhood would sit us down and tell us about their generations stars. Strangely enough most of them were Swallows fans and would passionately talk about their dying team. My grandfather would sometimes mention a team he once liked, PUB (Pimville United Brothers). Pub was apparently one of the top Soweto teams at some point.

I always asked myself on why is it that a father will support Swallows and his children Chiefs or Pirates. The answer was simply based on the fact that the Swallows they know is not the same one their father knew. Chiefs was simply more successful and popular.

Chiefs and Pirates might suffer the same fate. Great brands must maintain and grow their market when ever possible. How do I expect my younger brother to be a Chiefs fan when a team like Supersport United is clearly more superior?

Why am I still being loyal to a brand that not loyal to me? When I was growing up I would be called a ‘rabela’ if I was a Chiefs fan and wanted to change to Mamelodi Sundowns. Now I understand that I don’t owe the Motaung’s my bum in the stadium. Chiefs it self took some of Pirates fans when it was formed.

At this point, one needs to be loyal to a team that is loyal to them. I feel like Chiefs is not loyal to me and it’s just the matter of time before I decide to end this long marriage. I might be one fan at the moment but the new generation of football lovers are open minded.

Chiefs must start signing big names and winning the league consistently like any big club. It took them 10 years to win a league title, which is pathetic. It’s the most supported club in South Africa, has one of the biggest sponsors in the country, the gate takings are good and they also receive licencing fees. Why don’t they buy quality players?

Kaizer Chiefs must get their act together. Ajax Cape Town, Supersport United, Mamelodi Sundowns e.t.c might one day take over as being the most successful teams in SA. People might start supporting their own provisional teams….. one day!

By Sibusiso
Share this post :
 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2011. DISKIOFF - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger