Headlines News :
Home » » Another PSL ‘hotshot’ wants to play us, let’s do something about it

Another PSL ‘hotshot’ wants to play us, let’s do something about it

Written By Unknown on Friday, March 30, 2012 | Friday, March 30, 2012


We didn’t play this past weekend, so that meant total boredom for some of us. For some, who watched Orlando Pirates get knocked out of the Nedbank Cup, it was some fun. I didn’t entertain the excitement among our supporters about the Pirates loss because I’ve promised myself to only celebrate when we win, not when others lose.

I know we are always poking fun at our rivals, but we need not forget that we need to do well for ourselves.It was a quite weekend from a Kaizer Chiefs front, no news, no rumors from “reliable sources” and certainly no conspiracies about the coach slapping his own players. For that I am glad. One thing though that sort of caught my attention when I read the news this morning, is that Free State Stars striker (or hotshot) Edward Manqele wants to play for Kaizer Chiefs. This is according to a report by my favorite footy website in SA, kickoff.com:

Manqele told KickOff.com:
“I am ready to move next season, provided the offer is right and Free State Stars agree to let me move to another club,” he says. “I grew up supporting Kaizer Chiefs and it is my dream to play for them.”

I’m all for young/rare-to-find talent, so I was immediately excited by these news. But as I read the rest of the report, I couldn’t help but notice that Manqele is 24 years old and Free State Stars are his first top flight club. So he’s not really young if you go by world standards. I say by world standards because here in South Africa we refer to 27 year olds as youngsters.

He’s not a youngster and this is a bit of a worry for me. I worry about whether he will require further development and how many seasons we can get out of him, should we make the signing. One thing I am not worried about is his talent, he’s definitely got what it takes to make it, he’s showing it now at Free State Stars. In his first season, he’s already leading the goal scoring charts. Another Lehlohonolo Majoro hey? I just hope he’s got the ‘balls’ too. Because if you ask Majoro, that’s what you need to have in order to make it at Kaizer Chiefs.

On a more serious note though, the one reason I will not get excited about this one is because we’ve had of a lot of great players in the wanting to play for Kaizer Chiefs. Some have even gone as far as professing their desire to play for us on record to certain newspapers. You immediately think about what happened to Siyabonga Sangweni. He said he wanted to play for Chiefs, but because management took their time  in signing him, he ended up at Pirates. Remember Teko Modise? He also wanted to play for Kaizer Chiefs. And a more recent example is that of ex-Wits captain Sifiso Myeni who signed for Pirates after going on record saying he wants to play for Chiefs.

There are lots of players that wanted to play for us, we all knew about them, including management, but we lost out because we were either too slow to act or out in Zimbabwe looking for one of those ‘Buy one get one free’ deals. It is the football manager’s job to spot talent and acquire it timely before the big spenders come sniffing around. In this department, we’ve been let down season after season. We’ve lost out on some of the best talent in the Premier Soccer League because of this.

Will it be any different with Manqele? Or will he end up at Mayfair or Mamelodi? We shall wait and see.

By KhosiBlog

Original story: http://goo.gl/K44bA
Twitter: @khosiblog
Share this post :
 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2011. DISKIOFF - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger